Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Ways to Use it #3 & Tutorial!

Hi friends,
Today I have one of my favorite ways to use Sizzix (or Papertrey Ink Stamp) packages.
Ways to Use it #3: Home Decor

Isn't this a super cute frame! And as an added bonus it is really simple to make. Wanna see how? Well, I've got a tutorial for ya! Here are the deets:

Ingredients:
Clear Packaging (I used only 1 panel/side from the die box)
Tim Holtz ink applicator, felt pads, Adirondack (alcohol ink) gold & copper used here
Patterned paper (Windsor- SEI), Cardstock (Bazzil)

Mini Glue Dots, Ribbon of choice (1/4 in.)
Staz-On Ink (Timber Brown), Stamp (Carte Postale)
Crop-a-dile, Cricut & Cartridge: Tags, Bags, Boxes & more

(If you don't have some of these, it's OK, I'll give you some other options)
So, let's get started!

I cut out the acetate with my Cricut (Scallop Blackout) at the highest pressure. It didn't cut it all the way in a couple of areas, Edited to add: I realized I had my blade depth at 4, so if you put it to 5 or 6 it will cut it out no problem. You don't need the deep cut blade. Sorry I think my brain was on 10 second delay! I cut out two at 4 in. (If you don't have a Cricut, you can die cut it with a Big Shot, or use a template & cut it out with a good pair of scissors.




Take your alcohol inks and sprinkle some dots on the applicator & start pouncing all over the acetate. (oh, this is so fun & therapeutic!) You can add as much as you'd like to achieve the look you want. But it's a good idea to leave a few spaces without inking so the light can shine through it. Do that to both pieces on only 1 side.
When you finish, it should look like this: They dry quickly.
TIP: If you happen to get some ink on your fingers or work area, you can use nail polish remover to take it off or Staz-on remover.

The next step is optional, but I love the depth this gives it. Flip over your acetate so that you're working on the UNINKED side. Take your Staz-on ink pad (Timber Brown) and stamp off on scrap paper and then stamp directly to the acetate (second generation stamping.) So that it looks like this. You don't want to stamp too many times. You don't want to loose the effect you're trying to achieve.

Next, you want to put them together so that the inked side is on the outside for both pieces & punch two holes with your Crop-a-dile (smaller hole.) If you don't have one, a hand punch will work, too- you just have to do one at a time.

Now you can get your paper ready. I eyeballed it & cut it out. For those of you that must measure, cut out the Cardstock at 2 3/4" x 1 3/4". Patterned Paper at 2 1/2" x 1 1/2". These measurements will vary depending on the size of your acetate pieces.

Then, I added the ribbon detail. I cut a strip of ribbon, tied a bow, & adhered the ends with mini Glue dots to the back of the cardstock.


Add mini glue dots to each corner and adhere it to your acetate. Here's what it looks like so far: (You're almost done!)
To complete your project, Cut two more strips of ribbon, tie & trim up your knots. TIP: I use a paintbrush between the two pieces so it gives me the room I need to leave between the two pieces & it makes it easier to tie the knot.
You're done! Here's the back:
And the completed front again: Yes, it does stand on its own :)I actually put those little pictures you get in your school picture package of my boys on mine (sorry, not posting pictures of my kids- crazies out there, you know.) But you could put little pet pictures, add favorite quotes, make a perpetual calendar--- so many possibilities! You can even add more panels to create a little accordian album or put 1 letter on each panel to create a word. They make cute little gifts for family members, too and don't forget they're inexpensive!

So what do you think? Do you think you can make this work for you? I know you can! I hope you've found my tutorial & project helpful & that they've inspired you to get crafty with Home Decor projects!


We're going to see the new Harry Potter movie tomorrow, and I can't wait! I've read all of the books (luuuuv) and I miss not reading a new one this summer, the way I have with some of the other books.

I've got a few more ideas to share with you so I hope you check back! And if you've missed any other ideas, just click on the "ways to use it" label on the side bar.
Thanks for peekin' in today! I'm off to clean up a bit---Gotta go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :) So appreciated!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin