Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mummy Unwrapped Tutorial

Hi friends,
Today I have a tut for creating my mummy guy with gauze. He takes more work than Frankie, but he's worth it! Luuuv using gauze. It gives him an authentic look. So how about we wrap up the blabber & get on with the deets!

Here's what we'll be making today:


Here's what you'll need:

(1) standard size (A2) envelope
4" x 5" cardstock for insert notecard
about 38" (or more) of rolled gauze (bought at $1 store)
(2) 20mm wiggle eyes
Ink (I used Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distress Ink) but most brown inks will work
Tape runner


NOTE: Your fingers will get a bit inky doing this project. So you may not want to work on this project in your Couture white cashmere sweater. Just sayin'!

First, seal the envelope. Then, trim about 1/2" from the top as shown. Discard trimmed piece.

Rub the ink pad across the gauze. I hold the gauze in one hand & rub the ink pad across it. The gauze will cling slightly to the pad, but it won't damage it. Distress as much as you'd like. (I just distressed a little.)
I know it's hard to tell, but it's distressed (a bit). My mummy's not that old, OK!

Add adhesive (tape runner) to both sides of the envelope. You don't want to use strong adhesive because you're going to need to be able to adjust the gauze. Tape runner works well. I don't recommend using wet glue. (sorry, I know it's hard to tell in the photo :( there are 4 vertical lines of adhesive. (click to enlarge the pic if you need to)
Now start wrapping the gauze around the entire envelope. You want to cross it, the less "perfect" the better it will look. Just keep playing with it until you get it looking how you like it. (No 2 mummies will be exactly the same, but like my friend Martha always says---> it's a good thing :)
Once you're done wrapping it, add the eyes. Again play with it. Depending on where and how you place the eyes, your mummy will have a different look.
Here are some of those "mummy looks":

"Surprised/Shocked" Mummy:

"Mad" Mummy:

"I've got a secret" Mummy:
(He told the secret to the first mummy & shocked him and made the second mummy mad!) Tee! Hee!

Anyhoo, you get the idea, right? PLAY!!!

Now, take your 4"x5" insert piece & decorate it (not like mine, better. WAAAAY better). Punch a hole at the top left.


Then take a left over piece or extra scrap of gauze & thread one end through the hole & tie a knot.

All that's left if to tuck the card inside the envelope! Ta dah! This tut is all wrapped up!
(sorry, that's my last bad pun, pinky promise!)

You can take your ink pad & carefully rub it along the sides to age it some more if you'd like :)


"Step on a thing & that thing bends, and that's they way this tutorial ends!"

Thanks for peekin' at my Mummy guy today! Are you sick of my tuts yet? I hope not, 'cause I've got one more on it's way tomorrow~~~> Gotta Go!

6 comments:

  1. Karli, you are on a ROLL!! Yikes, it's contagious! Great job and thanks for the deets! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ROTHFLAO!!! seroiusly, you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh I just LOVE this thank you sooo much! I am so proud to be on the DT with you!!Awesome job...I WILL make one!!!
    hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are way too stinkin cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun and entertaining tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karli- these are fabulous! LOVE all the different 'expressions'!! Thanks for the tutorial! I'm gonna have to try these!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :) So appreciated!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin